Discounts On Bags, Purses, Backpacks

Sunday, October 23, 2011

BOOK REVIEW, ROAD TO HEAVEN


ROAD TO HEAVEN

A Book Review
Hermit Heaven Encounters with chinese Hirmits by: Bill Porter
The Chinese say their history goes back five thousand years, back to the time of Huang-ti, the Yellow Emperor.  Haung-ti was the earliest known leader for the confederation of tribes that established Chinese.  But it was from two hermits that Huango-ti learned how to conquer his enemies and how to prolong his life.  And he reigned for a hundred years, from 2700 to 2600 B.C. about the same time the first pyramids were being built in Egypt.
After Huang–ti rode off on a dragon to join his fellow immortals, and, around 2300 B.C., into theYao.  Two thousand years later, Confucius praised yao as the wisest of men because he passed over members of his own family and chose a hermit as his successor.  Huang-fu Mi’s third century work; the Kaoshihcbuan (Records of High Minded Men) recreated the occasion:
Yao asked Hsu-yu to take over the kingdom.  But Hsu-yu answered, “When the sun or moon is shining, what use is lighting a torch?  When the rain is falling, what use in watering crops? You, sir, already rule the kingdom.  Were I to replace you it would be in name only.  Name is the guest of reality, and I have no desire to be a guest.  Even in a deep forest, the wren uses only one branch for its nest.  Even beside a river, the tapir drinks only enough to fill its stomach.  Go back, my Lord.  I have no need for a kingdom.  If the cook fails to keep order in the kitchen, the shaman doesn’t stop the ritual to take his place.”
Instead of accepting Yao’s offer, Hsu-yu washed out his ears in a stream to rid them of any residue such talk might leave behind.  But Yao was determined to find a man of virtue and approached another recluse, named Shau.  Shun accepted Yao’s offer, and eventually he too looked for a hermit to succeed him.  Again, the Kaoshihcbuan records the event:
Shun tied to give the kingdom to a hermit named Shan-shuan.  But Shan-chuan protested.  “in former times, when Yao rules the realm, people followed him without being told and praised him without being reward.  The kingdom was at peace, and people were content.  There didn’t know hate or desire.  Now you wear colored robes and confuse their eyes.  You mix the five tones and confuse the ears.  You play the music of Shao and stupefy their minds. This can only result in disorder, with which I want nothing to do.  I have my place in the world.  In winter, I wear skins, in summer I wear hemp.  In spring, I plough and plant and have enough to do.  In fall, I harvest and gather and have enough to eat.  When the run rises, I get up.  When the sun sets I rest.  I’m free to do what I want in this world, and with this I’m content.  What do I do with a kingdom?
By:  Darlene Sabella

No comments:

Post a Comment