Discounts On Bags, Purses, Backpacks

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Hippie Days, My Memories


http://www.flickr.com/photos/beatnikkitty/5538679923/sizes/z/in/photostream/

Memoirs, 1960's and The Hippie Days...

What an exciting time us baby boomer's lived thorough...the hippie generation. I lived in Southern California at the time, living near the Beach, in Huntington Beach. I was such a flower child, with love and peace in my heart and soul. Remember Woodstock? I had two small toddlers at the time and my good friend, Lynn had one small child. We shared our money and purchased a Willis Van, We packed up the car to embark on a five day journey to Woodstock. We left the beach driving east through Los Angeles, then the van broke down. For the remainder of our life we told everyone we were there, at Woodstock and shared with all that would listen to our tall tales. I still feel like I was there, I have to chuckle at myself for inventing such a story.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84243328@N00/150975756/sizes/z/in/photostream/
Many things stand out, but mostly the music, all the songs I remember driving my bug down the road with my radio blasting. However, I realize that is why I can't hear so well now...This article feels fit for my first article on Hub-pages, a touch of my inner soul and the experiences many younger people will never have. When I tell people from the mid-west that I still am a hippie, they want to know if I was friends with Charles Manson. OMG, they think that is what a hippie was and is, so sad and how wrong, their view of that awesome, groovy generation!


At twenty one years old, I was working in an up-scale night club as a cocktail waitress, is was such a large club that there were about fifteen of us girls working the bar. After work we would all go out to "after hours" night clubs and dance all night. We had a local band called the "Spot and the Blotters", half black and half white band members. One night we all decided to go to a new club about forty five minutes away. There was about seven girls cramped into a VW Bug...I was the youngest of the group and just moved from a small little town, Lancaster, California, in the high desert. The girls all ganged up on me to take a puff of a joint, I was so scared, but I was a trooper and so I tried. I thought, everyone was doing it but me. SO....



I took and inhaled and held it as long as I could, as instructed. All of a sudden I was freaking out in the car and thought Charles Manson was chasing us. Now mind you, we are on a freeway going sixty five miles per hour. One girl dropped her cigarette she was smoking and we couldn't find it, so the driver just stopped the car, in the middle of the freeway, with cars rushing past us. We all tumbled out of the car in search for this stupid cigarette. LOL, we laughed so hard I thought for sure I would pee my pants.

The hippie movement was a free thinking movement, changing the rules, enjoy live, love people. We all wanted to be different then our parents. We abhorred the war, and lost many friends in Vietnam during those years. We were into peace, love, getting stoned, and just tripping out. We were opinionated, and sure of ourselves. Right now, there is a town that still lives in that time in space, a college town called Boulder Colorado. One of the most expensive places to live, however there are coffee houses and stores that sell all the Ty-dyed clothes and where professor and students spend time together in any of the numerous coffee houses in town. The music is still awesome and it is a wonderful place to visit to bring back these long past, bitch-en memories.

I still miss my friends from those days, like Arleen Kerr and Millie, I hope they somehow read this article so they can find me. My life has been so full of adventure, but this adventure has some missing memories, um I wonder why I lost some time, I think I was having lots of fun. And, to all you past hippies, peace let go, chill and go with the flow.

http://darlenesabella.blogspot.com/





The copyright to this article is owned by Darlene Sabella. Permission to republish this article in print or online must be granted by the author in writing. (you can, however, freely use the opening introduction and photo with a link to the article here on RedGage and My Smashing Magazine to read the remainder of the article.)

No comments:

Post a Comment